Sour Sap Leaves Took My Grandad’s Pain Away
This post lays very close to my heart as it’s about my grandfather who left this earth September 2016. He was a very wise man and was full of knowledge and enjoyable stories, the calmest being I have met and loved by all who knew him. As his granddaughter, you may think I am biased but everyone who came into contact with him said the same thing.
He was never clinically diagnosed but all his notes pointed towards him having pancreatic cancer. He knew how to hide his discomfort well and it got to the point where painkillers were no longer of any help. I was with him just weeks before he passed and during that time I and my grandmother would wrap sour sap leaves around his waist every day at his request.
The idea came from a dream my grandmother had, which even went into the details of how she should wrap them. They lived in Jamaica and had a sour sap tree in their garden so we would pick fresh leaves daily.
- Get a piece of cloth the width needs to be 15cm and the length needs to be able to wrap around the part of the body where the pain is
- Make sure all leaves are fresh and smooth with no tags
- Get double sticky tape and stick on the back of the leaves
- Stick the leaves onto the clothes
- Then with the leaves skin down wrap around the area of pain.